Saturday, August 2, 2008

Slings & Arrows

Sometime last year, I heard a brief but powerful review of the Canadian TV series Slings and Arrows. Since I was driving and only partially listening, I don't remember much. But I do remember this show, about a struggling Shakespearean festival, being described as simply one of the best television shows. Ev-ER.

Now, I've read a fair share of Shakespeare in my day. (By "my day" I, of course, mean in junior high and high school. Honors English, thank you very much.) But I'm in no Shakespeare freak. I'd hardly call myself a true fan of the ole bard, but I do appreciate a good soliloquy every now and again. So why then did I remember this review a year later? And why did I have this nagging feeling all year long that I had better watch Slings and Arrows?

Because the reviewers were right. It's the bestest show. Ev-ER. The comedy is dark and brilliant. The drama is intense and heartfelt. I've developed a new-found appreciation for both Kids in the Hall and thespians in one fell swoop. I refrain from saying much, from revealing much. It's just a shame Rachel McAdams had to leave the show to film that horrible Notebook film. This is so much better. (OK, I know she did some other stuff in the interim. But the Notebook? That movie totally sucked.)

Unsolicited advice: watch Slings and Arrows.

No comments: