Dear Readers,
I spent the morning with my friend Julia at the semi-annual Friends of the Seattle Public Library book sale. (If you missed out today, you can still go tomorrow. Failing that, mark your calendar for September 28-29, 2008.) I maniacally grabbed then lugged nearly two dozen books around the drafty hangar in Magnuson Park for hours. (How could I not, at just $1 each?)
My bookish behavior this morning made me think fondly of Seattle's own librarian-turned-action-figure, Nancy Pearl. Ms. Pearl is the author of Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason, More Book Lust and Book Crush: For Kids and Teens - Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest. This lady knows her books. And she wants you, dear readers, to know them too.
But why hasn't she penned Book Binge, the definitive guide to buying and hoarding books, many of which you may never even read? Or its sequel, Book Purge, a guide to weeding your home collection and making room for more books on your shelves? Are not these important reading skills, crucial to keeping the used book economy robust?
Perhaps Ms. Pearl is under contract for these very titles right now. If not, I think I may just write them myself. After this morning, I'm confident in my abilities in this area. Dear readers, do you want all my book binge secrets? Just send $9.95 plus shipping and handling to me and they can be all yours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment